Sheet Pan Cauliflower and Chicken with Herbs Recipe
I love sheet pan meals! They’re easy to prepare and requires minimal clean-up. Sheet pan recipes are simple and versatile. The food has to cook at the same time and temperature, so the size, shape and density of the ingredients matter. Use separate pans and adjust cook time to counteract this but keep in mind that temperature remains constant.
This recipe was adapted from “Food 52: Sheet Pan Chicken and Cauliflower Bake”. I had chicken and frozen cauliflower in the fridge and found a recipe that uses both ingredients. Cauliflower can be replaced with broccoli, carrots or squash. I wanted to use fresh herbs from my garden instead of the spices in the recipe so I tweaked that portion out. I love the aroma of roasted onions and garlic so I added those as well. You can omit these in your recipe or reduce the amount of garlic.
Make sure the oven it heated to the correct temperature before cooking.
Place over rack in the middle of the oven.
Turn the pan around and flip vegetables midway for even cooking.
Adjust cook time depending on the size and thickness. Do this by adding or subtracting 5 minutes.
Sear the chicken if desired. It results in the Maillard reaction leading to caramelization of the chicken.
- prep time: 20 minutes
- cook time: 20 to 30 minutes
- total time: 50 minutes
Servings: 3 to 4 people
- Chicken breast 1.5 to 2 lbs
- Cauliflower, fresh (1 head) or frozen (1 -2 bags)
- Onion, medium, 1 bulb
- Garlic, 4 to 6 bulbs
- Canola or olive oil, ¼ cup
- Lemon juice ¼ cup (optional)
- *Thyme, fresh, 3-4 sprigs or dry 1 tsp
- *Basil, fresh, 4 medium to large leaves, chopped or dry ½ tsp
- *Rosemary, fresh, 3-4 sprigs or dry 1 tsp
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 F. Prepare a baking sheet by coating it with oil. Use a pastry brush or a paper towel to lightly coat the pan evenly.
- Place chicken breast in a large bowl. Add half the oil, all the herbs, lemon juice, garlic, onion, salt and pepper. Mix everything with your hands, making sure the vegetables and chicken are coated with the herbs and oil. Add extra oil if needed.
- Place cauliflower in a separate bowl. Add the remainder of the oil (about 1/8 cup), salt and pepper. If using frozen cauliflower or vegetables: heat in microwave for 2 minutes to defrost. Set timer for 1 minute first, mix the contents then heat again for 1 minute.
- Place the chicken in the middle of the prepared pan, making sure that the chicken is evenly spaced. The vegetables should Place any fresh herbs on top of the chicken.
- Transfer the cauliflower to the outside perimeter of the pan.
- Cook for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Turn the pan in the oven halfway and toss ingredients after 20 minutes for even cooking.
- Check for doneness. Add 5 more minutes if needed.